Saturday, June 12, 2010

Birthday Extravaganza

Yesterday was quite the day!  First day out of school for my darlings.  My oldest K had his first "friend" birthday party (more about that in a minute).  Then K spent is first overnight at a friends for a birthday party.  Which caused massive jealousy and tears for C.  Then we went to get a passport for K.  Then to sooth the hurt of K getting a lot of special things over the past few days C and I had a special night out with a friend of his.  We went out for pizza and to the arcade then they went to the friends house for a movie marathon.  Whew all that led to one tired MaMa!

The birthday party was hard on K and on mom.  He invited twelve kids not including his brother.  One boy came for the whole time and one girl came for part of the party.  He was very disappointed and my heart hurt for him.  It did turn out o.k. We had a great time, at least on my part probably a better time than if all twelve had shown up.  But ouch!  Now I will say that there were a couple of reasons behind the poor attendance but one of   the reasons is K is not easy to be around.  Yesterday his anxiety was so high it was palpable and really it had been that way for about 6 days with end of school and birthday stuff happening.  I don't know if his friends can feel the anxiety the way grown ups do but they certainly notice the behaviors that it accompanies.  INCESSANT chatter, bossy pushiness, need for excessive reassurance, hair trigger temper, and last but not least grandiosity.  This is not fun for anyone even my dear K.  So it is no surprise that kids were lining up to attend two hours of this but still it hurts my heart to see him disappointed.

The fun isn't over yet.  C and I are packing now so we can go to see family and have a family birthday party.  Then the boys will be staying with their aunt and cousins for a week so I can go away for work for a few days.  Oh and I left out a ton of stuff is happening with PTA - very exciting but you will have to tune in later for that fun because I need to shake a leg to get ready to go.  Thanks for stopping by, toot-aloo.

No comments:

Post a Comment